Wednesday 26 March 2014

My 5 Favourite Mascara Wands!



Hey friends! As I have been absent from blogger the majority of March, due to constantly being at work, I thought I would do a cheeky little post considering my favourite types of Mascara wands just to show you all that I'm still around. Recently I have been really getting in to mascara and the different looks you can create with the different shaped wands. I used to stick to big thick long lashes but I've found that other looks can suit the timing of the day and such so much better. So here are my 5 favourite mascara wands.

1: Big False Looking Lashes.

This is Rimmel London's Scandaleyes Lycra Flex mascara in '001 Black'. For months this was my go to mascara as I adored the look it gave. The wand on this is large, thick and has tones of bristles packed tightly together. When the product is applied with this wand the lashes don't become extremely separated but sort of stick together to create that gorgeous volume, which is due to the space between the bristles being so small. This also means that more of the product stays between the bristles and coats your lashes so thoroughly giving the illusion of them becoming longer. It can be a tad tricky to use a wand this size as it's so large, I have poked myself in the face multiple times using this so you do have to be a bit more cautious when using this. However the wand being so large does make it easier to reach to all the lashes ensuring that they are equally coated. This particular mascara retails at around £7 however cheaper variations are available, such as Collection's big fake ultimate fake lash effect mascara which comes in around £5 or under and has a very similar wand but does dry out a little faster.


2. Defined lashes.

This is Rimmel London's Sexy Curves Full Body mascara in '001 Black', which is said to offer extra volume and shapely curves to the lashes. This does neither so in terms of advertisement it's a bit of a touchy subject. This neither adds volume or holds any kind of curl to the lashes in the slightest. However this mascara is what has led me on to writing this post. I have been using this daily pretty much all throughout March as I just love what it does to the lashes. As you can see in the picture the wand is extremely unique and is made of three small ball shapes. This wand gives such definition to the lashes and keeps them beautifully separated. This results in gorgeous naturally full looking lashes that appear soft, as if you weren't wearing any product at all. This mascara really surprised me and as it is a few years old now you can get it for around £3 - £5 online which is a complete bargain. I'm yet to see a mascara wand like this but I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for one to compare this with.

3. Elongated lashes.

This is Maybelline's define - a - lash volume mascara in 'Brown' and has the most perfect wand for creating longer looking lashes. As you can see this has extremely short bristles with a lot of space between them. This helps the packaging get rid of all the excess mascara from the wand as you take it out, so your lashes avoid looking clumpy and too thick. They do however end up looking a lot longer than imagined. Avon's super extend mascara has a similar wand to this, and was very nearly features in this post. However the Maybelline wand has a beautiful shape to it, curving in the middle which helps to keep the natural shape of the lashes whilst also gaining more grip to the outer and inner corners. Again this is super old and is available for only £2.50 on fragrance direct so if you want really long looking lashes I would highly recommend bagging this up while you still can. Also, if you do want a tad more volume I would recommend you combine this and the previous mascara, using this first and applying the other once your first coat is completely dry.

4. Curled lashes.

I find that keeping your lashes looking freshly curled all day is often quite the challenge, and that you need a really thick and strong setting formulated mascara to really hold those curls in place and keep them looking beautiful. This was until I found this, Seventeen's 'Doll'd up' mascara. As you can see the wand has a slight curve to it, which fits most women's natural lash lines thus helping to really get a hold on to even those wispy thin lashes in the inner corner. When using this your lashes sculpt to the shape of the wand and so added with the fact there are numerous short plastic bristles, you end up with absolutely beautifully full, separated, thick and most importantly curled lashes. I've found that you really don't even have to use your eyelash curlers with this as the wand gives such a great outcome alone. If you want to really see how curled your lashes look then a good tip is to turn your head and check your lashes from a sideways view. Use your hand to block out the background to get the best view. I find that this is an excellent thing to practice as most of the people you interact with during the day see you from the side as appose to face on.

5. Lower lashes.

Ok, so this mascara wand has to be my ultimate favourite wand in the world, ever. It wins hands down simply for the cute factor. This is L'Oreal Paris' telescopic explosion mascara and apparently offers fanned out lashes, and a spectacular look! Honestly, this is a little disappointing when it comes to using it as a regular mascara, simply because the wand is far too small. It becomes time consuming and is quite difficult to manage with it being so light against the upper lashes. However, I have found this absolutely perfect for my lower lashes! After using this my lower lash line looks as if it has sprouted double the lashes that have tripled in length and volume. Thankfully this avoids that whole 'spider leg' lash look and gives you that much loved voluminous sexy look that I personally crave! Now when it comes to the upper lashes this wand isn't completely useless. I'm sure you'll have heard of Benefit's 'they're real' mascara, which is essentially the UK's top selling drug store mascara. One of the main appeals with that mascara is the wand, as the bristles aren't just down the sides like with most mascaras, but they continue on the top of the wand for the purpose of pushing those bristles against the base of the lashes to push them up and add volume and dimension. As you can see in the picture the telescopic explosion mascara is literally a ball of bristles so you can use this in exactly the same way and get a pretty spot on look. The Benefit mascara retails around £20 per purchase, where as the L'Oreal mascara sells for just £5.50 on fragrance direct, as it is from past seasons. So if you have a tight budget but want the look of the They're Real mascara this is absolutely ideal for you!


If you follow me on Instagram you may know I started this post over a week ago, which is just completely ridiculous. However my work life is taking over and what with having a social life and a love life and a family life to try and squeeze in I am left only with time to sleep, just about. So I do apologise for disappearing on and off but I bring exciting news. As of today I have only one 13.5 hour shift and a stock take to complete before I am off for two whole weeks! YAY!
In that time I am planning on doing my March favourites, and perhaps a birthday haul/favourites. We shall see but I do promise to try and cram as much as I can into this little time. Do keep tabs to see what happens and leave me some comments with suggestions of what you'd like to see.
Much Love, G x








No comments:

Post a Comment