Monday 3 March 2014

Love Lips.. Goodbye Winter Berries!

Hello amigos! My little Love Lips saga has returned for part two, Goodbye Winter Berries, thusly named for the sheer fact we have hit Spring! (Apparently.) And so I thought it would be fitting to say our farewell's to the Winter by remembering some lovely Winter berry toned shade lippies! Shown in this post are a mixture of lipsticks and lip stains, some from well known brands and others from those that you don't quite hear of so much anymore which is often a great shame in my opinion.
So, without further ado let's kick things off with some of my favourite berry lipsticks!


First up is of course that great Wintery classic, 107 from the Kate Moss collection of Rimmel London. This lipstick has become such a statement piece in so many girl's collections it is phenomenal. Honestly I can't recall the amount of times I have seen this pop up in Blogs or in YouTube videos and I can completely appreciate why. This is such a well produced product that it deserves the recognition it has received. After doing a little research in to Kate Moss's input in these lipsticks it became apparent that she wanted to maintain a collection of classic colours and go to shades. Obviously 107 is a shade that has done that down to a T. As you can see from the swatch photo this shade is a gorgeous deep red colour, with just that tiny hint of berry undertones in places where there is more product. The formula for the Kate lipsticks is utterly divine, being creamy and moisturising whilst staying highly pigmented for hours on end. The only two down falls I have found with this product is that it does stain the lips a little and any dry skin on the lips does look slightly darkened when wearing this. However that can be beneficial as it shows when you need to indulge in a lip scrub, which is always a treat. As this is such a bold shade I like to wear this with a very understated eye look. I found over this Winter that it looked lovely with a sweep of grey or kaki green eye shadow and a bunch of mascara. I do tend to steer away from browns and blacks with this lippy so eyeliner is pretty much a no with this for myself. However on a night out a good old winged liner look combined with this looks very very chic. Sadly I am not quite a brave enough person to wear this all year round so I will be putting it away until I grow a smidge more confidence. Very reluctantly as well!


Next up is a lipstick by Avon named 'very berry', how appropriate. As you can see this lipstick is initially quite sheer and so looks rather like a gloss when applied, however it is also extremely buildable. When I want a bolder look with this product I find I get the best results by using blotting sheets between reapplying. Blotting sheets are so much better than tissue for this as they're generally used for picking up oil so they do help rid the first coat of that glossy effect and give the extra coat something to grip on to. This range of Avon lipstick is pretty fantastic, they're so affordable and what's great is the packaging. If you can't tell from the photo the case is actual diddy, and stands at about maybe 5 or 6 cm tall, however you do get a full sized lipstick inside. This being so compact makes it great for storing in your handbag or in a makeup bag as it gives you that extra bit more room, maybe for another one of these lipsticks? I loved this through out this winter as it is extremely hydrating and really does battle the effects that the cold has on our lips. Unfortunately this is possibly the worst of my lipstick collection for reapplications as it does wear off repeatedly through out the day but I think for the result it gives that is something worth putting up with.


Now, remember me mentioning that some of these products are from lesser known brands? Well here is the first of two, an unnamed lipstick from Body Collection. The swatch below shows just one swipe of product and I would hope you'd agree that it is one hell of a pretty colour, showing the outstanding pigment quality. It is much more orangey toned that the previous two but it is simply gorgeous. Again this is quite buildable however as this is a pretty cheap lipstick the quality isn't up there with some other brands and building this can result in streaking and smudging. This appears to be quite an oily based lipstick so while it is great for nourishing the lips it can get a bit hectic and messy all up in your lip regions. However it's the colour that wins this for me. I adore coral/orange based lipsticks but 9 times out of 10 they're most suited in the spring/summer. Because this is so deep and does have that red tone to it I find it perfect for the winter making it the exception. I honestly wish that another brand would bring out this exact colour in their formulation but I haven't ever seen a colour like this from any other brand. In terms of that though, the formula, for this lipstick it's so far from a winner for me but the colour had kept me grabbing for this over the past season so something must be on form here.


My final lipstick in this edition is another unnamed lipstick by Vivo. I received this in a kind of cosmetics lucky bag in Boyes, Hull last year some time and didn't really pay much attention to it as I did think it would be too brown for me. Once I finally tested it out though I was really pleasantly surprised. This colour compliments my skin tone so well. I don't know if it's down to me being so pale or if it somehow cancels out my blemishes a little but it is fantastic. This lipstick is silky smooth and feels so pleasant to the touch of the lips that it's a real joy to wear and the colour of this is so bold that it is perfect for winter. I like this having those brown hints to it too, as it's something really different and I find it very sophisticated. I absolutely love this teamed with my Collection lasting perfection ultimate wear foundation and a very small touch of bronzer in the form of blush, as all the colours melt together beautifully and radiate the face. I am pretty sure you can't get this from Vivo anymore as I know that the lipsticks are all in different packaging now so this is one I will hold dear for a while until I find another nice brown toned lippy!


Now for the first of two stains, we have Maybelline's super stay 10 hour tint gloss in '160 forever fuchsia'. Now although this is advertised as a 'gloss' this really does seep into the lip and stain it, also after 20 minutes or so all the gloss effect is gone and it's more matte than anything else. As you can see in the swatch it is the most pink of all the pigments in this post however I do think it is still the most gorgeous worn in the autumn/winter time as it's just too dark to be worn in Summer. I purposefully pictured this product opened as I wanted to highlight the brilliant applicator brush. This isn't quite a heart applicator but it's the same principle. It is essentially an oval with a hole in the middle that holds just the right amount of product for one application which I find ingenious. This product applies so perfectly and mess free which I do find essential with something that stains the skin as no one wants to be walking round with pink blotches all over them now do they? Something else I love about the product is the scent of it. It is a very familiar scent to me and reminds me of sweets and sugar however I can't quite pin it down to one specific thing. If you can tell me what this smells like leave me a comment below to let me know as it will honestly play on my mind every time I wear this. Now as for the formulation of this I would say it is pretty great, maybe nothing outstanding but it is a great product. The colour pigment is wonderful and the scent/taste is wonderful, I wouldn't say this lasts 10 whole hours but it does last a good 5 hours until it needs topping up. Wonderful!


Now for the final stain and the final product in the winter berry edition we have this lip stain pen in '104 prune flush' by a brand named Astor. I hadn't really heard of Astor before seeing this on fragrance direct but the price was so fantastic I thought I'd give it a go. These retail at about £4.99 but on fragrance direct they were only 99p which is such a bargain. Now this is a love/hate product for me as while I adore the lip stain, I hate the lip balm meant for sealing. I don't know if I am allergic to it or something but every time I use this I break out in a cold sore which is something I just can't deal with. Unfortunately this means my Rimmel 1000 kisses lip stain balm gets double use and is going to run out faster which is a darn shame. Now the actual lip stain part of this product is sensational. As you can see in the swatch it's that perfectly dark berry colour for winter and is very similar to 107 by Kate Moss that I previously mentioned, maybe just a bit more purple toned. This is a great coloured product however it does take a toll on the lips and can get quite drying after prolonged use. I find that when topping this up throughout the day your lips do end up feeling quite dried out and so this is probably more suitable for just a night out or a meal where you can wear it for a few hours and then take it off once you get home. I do like to treat my lips to a good scrub and an overnight Vaseline session just to give them the therapeutic repair that they need. So while this is a beautiful shade and colour it is also quite a bit of effort. So I'll leave you to deliberate that but I would recommend looking online at these products regardless. You never know!


So there we have it. My favourite berry toned shades for the winter time. Now that that's done and dusted hopefully the rest of this cold dreary weather will go and we can get stuck in to spring! If you would like me to post about a certain colour in my next love lips post do let me know either by commenting below, or messaging me on facebook or Instagram.
Also in my last post I did promise to let you know how the Seventeen flawless poreless primer is suiting me but I have a planned post coming up very soon which will reveal all about that so keep your eyes peeled for it. I do believe my next post however will be a February favourites post. (Late again of course). Busy days huh?

Much love, G x

No comments:

Post a Comment