Tuesday 28 January 2014

The Grown Up Way To Wear Glitter!

Hello friends! Today we're talking glitters, all that glitters and shimmers and glistens and shines! Every girl loves a bit of glitter do they not? If you are a 90's baby like me, you'll probably remember glitter being an essential part of your day to day look when you were about 8. Remember glitter jelly shoes, glitter hair mascara, glitter lip gloss, glitter nail varnish (only), bad glitter t-shirt transfers.. the list goes on. If it wasn't glitter it was diamantes, but we'll just not go there. So after reviewing some very bad fashion choices in my youthful days I've decided that I'm not quite ready to let go of glitter just yet, which led me on to thinking, 'how can I incorporate glitter into my every day make up routine and still get away with it?'. So low and behold here is the grown up way to wear glitter. Enjoy!

FACE:The face is a tricky thing to apply glitter to without looking like a complete loon, however it is doable and is actually an excellent manner of lighting up the face and looking more radiant.
For example we have this. Rimmel London's Wake me up foundation. This is my summer foundation in the shade "200 soft beige" which is the next shade up to my winter choice of this. As you can see it claims to have an 'anti-fatigue effect + radiant glow'. Now this 'radiant glow' is brought by squillions of teeny tiny shimmer particles that reflect light to brighten up the face, thus bringing the anti-fatigue effect, clever really. Don't worry though, the shimmer is so small that it really isn't visible unless you're looking at it from about a 5cm distance, which hopefully strangers don't get that close to you. This foundation is pretty wonderful as, while containing all this shimmer, it doesn't actually set shiny. It leaves your skin looking flawless and airbrushed whilst staying matte but giving that beautiful boost.  Also, it's cheap as chips!!

Sticking with Wake me up, there is also the Instant radiance shimmer touch, in '004 shimmering sand'. If you've been with this blog a while you'll know I picked up this obvious tester product in poundland and did expect to use it as a highlight however it is just far too dark in colour to pass as that, but it works as a perfect bronzer. It contains the same stuff as the foundation meaning it works in the same way of illuminating the face without leaving it looking glittery, but the colour of this is just gorgeous and for £1 you just can't go wrong can you?

Also in the bronzer department is the Bourjois paris' bronzing powder, 'filled with glints of sunshine'. This isn't quite as shimmery as the aforementioned rimmel tester however it is ideal for if you're wanting just a touch of glow to your face. I love this on days where I'm not looking my absolute best as it does warm the face beautifully and it is just such a joyful product to use. It is so pigmented and the shimmer is a beautiful contrasting colour to the bronzer. It applies so slickly and doesn't look mucky as some bronzers do, so it's just ideal. Also as I've mentioned before (as has every other blogger in existence probably) it smells super strongly of chocolate which is just a girls heaven really isn't it? Honestly this is quite expensive but it's a real treat when it comes down to the formulation, the lasting power and the radiance it gives, again without making you look glittered up. Also, it smells good enough to eat, so what's not to love?

Along the lines of bronzer, there is also highlight to consider. I have posted about both these products previously but have since had a proper chance to use them and get to know the best way to apply these.
First is Collection's blush in '04 trouble', which is a gorgeous baby pink colour with peach undertones so the initial look of it just gorgeous, however this blush is really quite sheer (but buildable) and packed full of shimmer making it a wonderful highlight. I apply this to the tops of my cheekbones, down the front of my nose and adding just a touch to my forehead. This really makes the face glow and adds such a look of health, it's simply gorgeous. I find I get best results when I apply this with a large fluffy brush as it gives such a natural look. Collection have exceeded themselves once again!

Secondly is Technic's highlights. I bought this on a whim as technic aren't really one of my top make up brand choices, however this highlight is exquisite! Disregarding the awful splitting cheap brush it holds as an applicator, the actual product is a dream. You barely need any of this to achieve a gorgeous radiant face and can really make your features look much more youthful and defined by applying this to the high point of your face. This is more of a pearl than a glitter but it really does the same trick of being glam but not childish, and the price of this was excellent!

EYES: The eyes are much easier to apply glitter to obviously, but maybe not so easy when you think about the day time as appose to a night look. However if you find the right products that contain glitter you can actually benefit your whole eye look by making the eyes look bigger and brighter! Obviously, I couldn't write about every single glitter eye shadow I have in this blog as we'd be here for days so here are my favourite neutral 'day suitable' eye products.

First up are two of the Color 24hr tattoo eye shadows in '35 - on and on bronze' and '05 - eternal gold' by Maybelline New York. These shadows are outstanding and so gosh darn beautiful. 35 is pretty much my go to daily eye colour which I apply just a sweep of over the eyelid up to the crease. It is such a gorgeous metallic brown that really accentuates the size of my eye. Personally darker colours make my eyes appear larger and one's with a shimmer or glitter in them like these two add a 3D effect to the eye meaning that 05 works wonders for me as well. 05 is a really pretty yellow/gold colour that is light enough to be worn in the day. If it were like a pure gold colour I would probably leave it for the night time but wearing this with a slick of liquid eyeliner in a winged fashion looks insanely gorgeous. These products are amazing for their formula as well. They are both gel/cream eye shadows meaning they apply so so so easily and are super easy to blend out. They are both extremely pigmented and last literally ALL day with no need to touch up! A perfect buy!
Also as a side note, these two colours look amazing on a night out together as a smoky eye. I like to put 05 in the inner corners of my eyelids and just below the brow bone, before adding 35 to the rest of my eyelid adding more for a darker look towards my outer eye whilst blending it out really well above the crease. As long as you make sure there are no harsh lines, this creates the perfect smoky eye!


 Along the same colour scheme as the Maybelline shadows is this outstanding eye shadow quad by W7. This is quite possibly my most used eye shadow pallet for every day use. The colours in this are so beautiful and versatile. I adore the champagne colour as it is so perfect for the day time, especially around this time of year as it is still very neutral despite being so glittery and gorgeous. This is my most used colour of the pallet, and coming in second is the dark brown. Now, you can see in the picture how much glitter is in these shadows and I can honestly say that that is the look you get when applying them. They are all just SO pigmented it's unreal. Unfortunately they don't blend together very well, however I find that when using an eye shadow primer like rimmel's exaggerate undercover eye shadow primer it does act as a very useful aid to blending these. Although these are real glitzy they're really not too over the top for the day time. They brighten up the whites of the eyes so nicely giving the effect that you're a lot more awake than you maybe are.

Finally for the eyes is this mascara by Loreal paris. This is the volume million lashes diamantissime mascara in black. This has been featured in the 'spend £15 get this free gift' at Christmas for at the very least two years running now. In terms of it being a mascara it's pretty average. It doesn't actually build too much volume but it does make the lashes appear longer, has no clumps and it holds fairly well. However in terms of today's focus, GLITTER, it is soooo pretty. It contains tiny flecks of shimmer which aren't very visible until the light hits your lashes but when that happens you suddenly have these gorgeous twinkling eye lashes. I loved this mascara for months at one point until I figured I wanted more volume and curl, however this is always nice to just fall back on every once in a while especially if you're aiming to incorporate glitter into your make up routine. A slight word of warning though, if like me you are easily distracted then this is going to bug you! When you wear this you'll hit light the wrong way and all of a sudden you'll be looking up at your lashes watching them glisten, whilst looking like a complete head case! Oh well, at least you'll look like a pretty head case!

LIPS: Lipsticks can be a great way to add some sparkle in to your look and some of my favourite every day lipsticks have shimmer in them.

 These are the Loreal paris lipsticks in 'plum passion' and 'ferric fuchsia'. These lipsticks smell insane, and yes I had to open up on that point. Even if you don't want to buy any of these, just go smell one! They're fantastic lipsticks thought, they're creamy, massively pigmented, long lasting and beautiful colours. The plum one is gorgeous around the winter months as a dark lip is always best worn in the winter, whilst the red can be worn all year round I believe. Red lips are classic. Now these colours add such dimension to your lips making them appear fuller than they may already be. And the glitter in them is almost invisible to the naked eye, yet it's there, and it is absolutely stunning.

  Finally is the Bourjois 3D effect lip gloss in 'rouge democratic'. I got this in the Christmas free gift this year and I have fallen for this so damn hard. I wear this most over the top of the ferric fuchsia lipstick shown above as the two colours work perfectly together and they make the lips look so full, glossy and perfect. However this is also gorgeous alone as a more sheer red lip gloss. This gloss is not sticky, lasts for an absolute age and it smells and tastes like refreshers! It also contains those perfect little shimmer bits I've been raving about this blog post! So you can't lose with it really can you!

Hopefully this post has inspired you to add a little bit of glitter in to your life to brighten up your days when they weather can't do that for you. (If you're from where I'm from anyway, cheers England).

Now for a little life update! I am currently in the process of moving out of my parents house. So things with this blog are going to get a little unpredictable I'm afraid. I have no idea what I am going to do about internet access in my new place yet. Do I get a dongle? Do I pay for broadband? How expensive is broadband? Who do I contact about broadband? There are so many questions I don't have a clue about right now. Hopefully I wont be out of action for too long though and if it appears to end up that way I will just post here at my parents sneakily for a while. But whatever you think, there is no way I am quitting this blog now. It's just starting to open up some doors for me. Expect collaborations, tutorials, special guests and the such! It's going to get exciting (for me anyway). So until next time sweets!
Much love, G x


No comments:

Post a Comment