Tuesday 11 February 2014

January Favourites!

Hey guys! So before I start I must apologise for this January Favourites post being so darn late. Yes, almost by two weeks. However a lot has occurred in these past few weeks and I've just been snowed under! So yes, I am extremely sorry but hopefully it was worth the wait. Let me show you what I've been loving throughout January!
I'm going to kick things off with my most worn foundation of the month, that being, Rimmel London's match perfection foundation in '103 true ivory'. As you may know I bought this a few months ago and to be honest for a while I didn't use it much, as I was stuck on the Collection lasting perfection foundation. However after using this more and more I started to love it more and more. I find it to be the best match to my natural skin out of all the foundations I have tried which is extremely handy for me as most mornings I am rushing off somewhere and blending out jaw line foundation creases isn't at the top of my priority list.. Coffee is!
However when it comes down to the technical side of this foundation such as formulation and lasting power etc. it is just amazing. This product really is a treat to use in my opinion due to it being so easily manageable. It blends out flawlessly (if you have time!) and doesn't wear off half way through the day! I personally have combination type skin on my face meaning some areas get quite dry (forehead), some areas can get quite oily (nose and chin) and the rest is pretty much normal on a day to day basis, and this foundation works with all of my face. It doesn't slide off on the oily parts of my face and seems to keep my skin quite hydrated without leaving it feeling all sticky and gross! I feel as though this is a product I am going to repurchase again and again until it is discontinued as it seems to have made itself a statement piece in my make up collection.



Next up in the favourites list is more of a method of applying make up rather than a cosmetic alone. I love a bright under eye so nothing is worse for me than big black bags! However what with January being such a demanding month for me, sleep hasn't been much of an option some nights meaning those bags have been inevitable. However I may have found the perfect way to conceal them and it is so easy. In the picture you can see the Collection concealer everyone raves about and a little pot (empty dream matte mousse pot) full of loose powder (a few various powders I had hit pan on). I have found that all I have to do in a morning to look bright eyed is apply my concealer as normal, before taking any eye shadow or concealer brush and patting on the loose powder over the top. This also prevents the concealer from sliding off during the day, and stops mascara and eyeliner from smudging onto my lower eye. This is a really simple technique that makes so much of a difference to a tired face. It makes me appear much more awake and I have found it helps to create the illusion of a bigger eye. I would highly suggest you try this as it also means you're not wasting any powder left in your near empty pans!




Sticking along the lines of face beauty products I have been absolutely adoring this Vivo baked bronzer in shade 1 'sun kiss'. I love looking bronzed up although not so much during the winter as appose to the summer, but this bronzer is perfect for any season. As you can see it has a very skin toned feel to it having a lot of beige/peach colours in there and I've found by avoiding the darker streaks with my brush I can create a lovely brightened look without looking brown or tanned. This lifts the face amazing particularly the cheek bones and so some days I have been wearing this instead of wearing blush which is perfect with a heavy eye look.
This bronzer feels outstanding on the face as it has a lovely silk like feel to it once applied. Also application is super easy with this as well. Unlike some bronzers it is very buildable so you're not left with that brown look immediately, you really can create a perfect glowing face with this. I like to apply this with a large powder brush or alternatively a blush brush, depending on where I am applying it. Also, the darker streaks create an amazing contour effect. All in all this is a wonderfully versatile product.


Moving on to what I have been using on my eyes a lot this month, we have something I spoke about in my last post (grown up way to wear glitter). The Collection eye shadow pencil in 'vanilla sky 1' has been an absolute Godsend this month. I have been wearing this on my lower water line to make my eyes look bigger. This is a nice product to use in this way as unlike a white liner it is much more skin toned and thus looks so much more natural. I've heard good things about the Rimmel kohl liner in 'nude' working in this sense so I am extremely eager to pick that up and give it a whirl, but for now this will do me just nicely.
I have also been using this as an eye shadow. I like to swipe this all over my lid for days when I am at work as it isn't a heavy colour and although it is quite shimmery it is still very natural looking with just a swipe. If you want to create a more shimmery look you can really build this up to create that look. This also makes a lovely highlight to the inner eye lid and brow bone with a smoky eye and very much compliments brown/neutral colours.



Speaking of smoky eye looks, this Maybelline new York Master smoky shadow pencil eye liner is outstanding and has been a top grab of my collection this month. I don't necessarily use this so much for the eye liner although it is a great formulation, I generally pick this up for the smudging tool shown in the picture. As you can see it is absolutely huge and is perfect for blending shadow and liner alike. I particularly like to use this with my 24 hour tattoo cream eye shadows, also by Maybelline, as once blended out with this tool I don't get that annoying crease along my eye lid that sometimes occurs.
The soul principle of this product is to apply the liner and smudge that out in to a smoky eye look but as the liner is the blackest black I find it to be a bit much, considering January has consisted of many nights in. However on a night out this product is absolutely perfect. This is such a good inspiring idea and is very handy for beginners or for people who aren't tops at blending out eye shadow. I found this a huge help, and hopefully so will you!


 Finally on the eye front is Avon's tri-shadow pallet in 'Onyx lustre'. I love this pallet immensely, everything about it is ideal from the product to the packaging. Seriously, this even has a little drawer for the applicator brush. How cute is that?!
The product itself is superb. I haven't used a lot of the white colour as I find it a little too white, however that is just proof of the amazing pigment quality. The black shadow is as black as you can get, and the burgundy colour is absolutely gorgeous. I have found creating a smoky eye with 'on and on bronze' in the tattoo shadow by Maybelline, and this pallet looks absolutely divine. I love this on a night out and the plum/berry tones in the purple colour of the pallet are such a nice alternative to a black smoky eye or a brown smoky eye. Also, who hasn't been adoring burgundy this season!? This is such a great product as it is affordable, easy to apply and extremely wearable for I would say anyone!


 My most worn lipstick this month is easily 'Jade' from Collection's Little Mix line. This is the most perfect nude-ish pink for me, and is a very true 'your lips but better' colour. I have been grabbing this on a day to day basis as I feel it perfect for any look. It is such a creamy lipstick that lasts for hours and feels extremely hydrating on the lips.
The colour pay off of this lipstick is really great as well, however I like to secure my lip look with a coat of lipcote just as so to be sure it will stay looking freshly applied. One thing I hate is having to worry about my lipstick smudging or getting on my teeth during the day so lipcote is just perfect for ensuring these worries are irrelevant.
I have a feeling I will be wearing this lipstick through out the majority of February as well, so maybe expect to see this in Feb favourites? haha!


My final beauty favourite of January is this body mist by the Body Shop. This is their midnight bakula body mist described as being 'Enchanting, Spritz on fragrance, with the mysterious bakula flower scent'. I have never heard of a bakula flower although from the packaging of this product I would gather it is of an Indian origin.
Let me tell you, this smells beautiful! It is so sophisticated and spicy yet sweet. I love spritzing this on during the day just for a little boost. As it is a body mist it doesn't have a great lasting effect and I believe this is a discontinued scent now. Unfortunately. If they did this in a perfume I would be ALL OVER IT! For now I just have to make the most of what I have left of this and believe you me, I full well intend to!



None beauty favourites:
I have been totally addicted to Youtube this month, as ever. However two beauty youtubers really stood out for me this month.
The first being of course Tanya Burr. She has released her own line of lip gloss and nail polish recently and from watching her youtube videos for months now, it is as if I have gone through the journey with her, so yes I do feel a small sense of pride for her for accomplishing this.
You really should check her out! Here are her links!

Tanya Burr Lips and Nails - feel unique
Tanya Burr Blog
Tanya Burr YouTube.
Tanya Burr on Twitter
Tanya Burr on Instagram
Tanya Burr on Facebook

The other Youtuber I have been adoring throughout January is TalkBeckyTalk. I discovered her through Fleur DeForce's channel as they are best friends and really took to Becky's channel. This past month for her especially has been wonderful as she did a series called 'Glamuary'. What girl isn't going to be pulled in by a name like that? Essentially she posted a video every day in January on a different (but beauty related) topic. She did videos such as collections, get ready with me videos and collaborations with some of Youtube's familiar faces! Each video was as entertaining as the next and I really enjoyed watching each day's video last thing at night to unwind. You should also go check her out! Her links below!

TalkBeckyTalk Youtube
TalkBeckyTalk on Twitter
TalkBeckyTalk on Instagram
TalkBeckyTalk Blog
TalkBeckyTalk on Facebook


So that's it for my extremely belated January favourites post, I do hope it was worth the wait and that you've found a few things to try out. Tomorrow I will be posting another post featuring some very sad news for me and also some very very exciting news for me and maybe even you! So keep your eyes out until then my lovelies!
Much Love, G x











No comments:

Post a Comment