Wednesday 17 September 2014

A Weekend Of Bargains!

This weekend just gone was an absolute dream for me, not only due to the fact that my maternal grandparents were visiting, but also for the insane amount of outstanding bargains I managed to pick up! I know full well just how expensive beauty blogging can end up, and so I was thrilled when I found some drugstore makeup and also a couple of high end pieces all for well under said drugstore prices. And why on earth wouldn't I share these little secret spots with you?

Friday: Poundland.
Did someone say £1 Rimmel? Oh yes, me. Pound shops often do sell drug store makeup and I have had quite a few Rimmel products from poundland, but most of them have been unused testers or samples. However after hearing rumours of apocolips, I dashed in to town and went to see if the rumours were true.. and they were. Thank God!


I ended up picking three Apocolips lip lacquer's simply because at £1 you have to grab them while you can. Right now theses are £6.49 at Boots stores which in itself is quite a good deal but obviously is no where near as bargainous as a mere quid! The three shades I picked up unfortunately don't have names on them and most of the writing on the packaging is foreign, however I have been kindly informed by the good people of Instagram that the nude colour is called 'Nude Eclipse'. As you can see from the swatches I bought an intense coral shade which may be stored away until next summer, the for mentioned nude and a deep burgundy colour both of which I feel will be getting possibly overused this Autumn/Winter. Rimmel's Apocolips range is simply amazing in a whole sense, which was quite clearly shown when they were launched and the blogging world went in to mass hype about them, but there's not much to love! Even in the swatches you can see just how thoroughly pigmented they are. They are long lasting and extremely manageable! If the intensity of the colour's isn't for you then you can simply dab a smaller amount on with your finger and blend it into a more natural and less intimidating look. While these are beautiful, they are also just that. Intimidating. They take a fair bit of practice but one you have it down then you will never have boring looks again!

  

I also picked up one of the eyeshadow paints in '002 Slate Grey'. I have to be honest with you here and say I am genuinely unsure of whether I bought this for the product or because it reminded me of the fifty shades trilogy which I am currently obsessing over (again). I am seemingly glad I picked this up though as it is quite pretty. Again this is an intimidating product because the initial outcome of the product is very dark and metallic and completely inappropriate for daily wear. It is much more of a night time look. However as shown in the swatch this blends out in to a lovely pop of colour which looks really very nice in the day time with just a small coat of mascara. It's very simplistic but I cant quite contain my excitement to use this on a night out when I can transform this into a gorgeous and glamorous smoky eye.



The last thing I picked up was this Lycra Pro nail varnish in '391 celebrity bash'. I picked this up because it reminded me of 'rapid ruby', also by Rimmel. Last year I could not put that shade down throughout autumn and so I felt this would be a good replacement. Of all the things I bought over the weekend this is definitely my least favourite due to it being such a stubborn product to use. It's one of those nail varnishes that takes up far too much time and patience as you really need three coats to achieve a perfect finish. Personally this product just pushes me way out of my comfort zone as I can't sit and apply three coats waiting in turn for each coat to dry, resulting in a messy finish. I feel as though there are so many better nail varnishes out there that match the price I paid for this. Particularly MUA cosmetics' nail varnishes that are also one pound each but are much faster drying. I'll definitely be heading in to Superdrug to see what I can find in that range.

Saturday: Boyes.




















Chesterfield have recently had a Boyes store open up in the town centre, and as I'm from Hull originally and Boyes are a Yorkshire born brand I was really excited about the opening as I know how awesome Boyes is for bargains. The only thing I picked up was this W7 'In The Buff' Eyeshadow pallet for a mere £4.99. After putting this picture on Instagram I had a comment regarding the fact that this pallet is a near dupe for the Urban Decay 'Naked' Eyeshadow Pallet. Having not owned any of the naked pallets, I couldn't really comment on the similarities between the two. However what I can say is that the quality of these eyeshadows is simply impeccable. This pallet is of a similar standard to the MUA pallets I own which I obviously rave about for pigment, control and lasting purposes and although I haven't had this all that long I can comment that when I have used this the effects have been in turn exact to those of the MUA pallets. These are extremely pigmented and long lasting, and what I like most about this pallet is the range of colours. I'm very much a brown eyeshadow only girl and very rarely stray from neutral tones like this, so this pallet really is a dream for me. There are a mix of matte and shimmer shades ranging from cream to black, with golds and coppers between. The names of the eyeshadows Left to Right are Buff, Camel, Sand, Dust, Chocolate, Topaz, Earth, Storm, Silk, Wave, Thunder and Onyx. I dare say my favourite of all these shades (if I had to pick) would be Thunder. Everything about this pallet appeals to me from the gorgeous rose gold tin packaging to the double ended brush included and I think for under five pounds this is a pallet every girl should own.

Sunday: TK Maxx.
Okay so TK Maxx is where the real bargains of this weekend lie. I picked up two higher end products both of which I am raving over completely and have used daily since I got them.


Firstly is this foundation by Rituals. This is their matt finish foundation with SPF 15 in shade 2. This has a retail price of £20.50 and thanks to the gods that are TK Maxx I picked this up for a whopping reduced price of £4.99. I was amazed to say the very least. Not only was I lucky in terms of the price but also in the fact this was the only one there and was the perfect shade for me. I genuinely have used this daily since I bought it and part of me wishes I wouldn't do that, simply so it would last longer but I can see myself getting through this mighty quickly. This foundation gives initially a medium coverage but it is easily buildable without giving a cakey finish. I apply this using my real techniques stippling brush ensuring is it all buffed nicely into my skin. The finish of this is matte, as advertised, but not in a way that washes you out. It still has a nice glow to it that looks natural and exquisite. It lasts well throughout the day with minimum wear and stays looking fresh and gorgeous. This is one of those products that I feel absolutely great wearing, a real confidence booster, and the price of this has lured me in well and good. I know I will be replacing this time and time again.



The final product of this post is the insanely gorgeous lipgloss from Cargo Cosmetics. This was reduced to £3.99 from £7.50, again being a great cheap price for what you're receiving. I am fully aware that I purchased three lip lacquer's not two days before, but they have unfortunately been over looked by this. This is in the shade 'stockholm' and is a beautiful natural, sheer, pink that just complements the look of the natural lips to a tee. This smells like sweeties which is very enticing in itself, but what's better is the formula. Again this is a sheer but buildable product meaning you can control fully the look you want to achieve. This isn't sticky at all which I love about a lip gloss. There's nothing worse than getting hair stuck all up in your grill while wearing lipstick now is there girls? As this is a gloss it does need topping up every now and again but when a products this beautiful, that's not exactly a chore. I absolutely adore using this product and am very tempted to go back and see the other shades.


So that's it for this mini bargain focused haul. I hope you enjoyed it and that you have been inspired to get out there and search for some bargains of your own! Share what you find with me, I would love to know what else is out there.
Much love, G x


2 comments:

  1. I cant believe you got the Rimmel Lip products for £1! x
    Emma | Emmys Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me honey, I was as surprised as you are! xo

      Delete