Thursday 4 September 2014

August Favourites!

We're in the last third of 2014, did that sneak up on anyone else or is it just me? So August has been and gone as has pretty much the first week of September. I genuinely cannot believe how fast this year is going! August was a pretty hectic month for me but a great one none the less and while I thought there would be loads of beauty products that I would be obsessing over I seem to have stuck to what I know with most things. Thus meaning this post isn't going to be the biggest favourites post ever. What I can say though is that all of the products mentioned have been well and truly loved this month!

1: Rimmel London's Wonder'full Mascara.
So Rimmel London released this mascara not too long ago now and from day one I wanted it in my life and on my lashes! It contains Argan oil which I believe is some what of a conditioner. It also has one of those fancy 'ultra flex' brushes which lets be honest, what's the point? Still, it's rather appealing in it's sexy copper packaging. However, £9 is just too much of a 'should I shouldn't I?' price for me so I was very hesitant on buying this, especially after seeing such mixed reviews online about it. Then came the day that I saw it in Tesco for a mere £4.99 and the deal was sealed! I can honestly say looking back I would have happily paid £9 for this as it's just magical. This has converted me from being a heavy lash lover to actually appreciating a nice natural look and more noticeably a lovely feel! This mascara wipes out that stiff feel to the lashes that often occurs with thicker products which leaves me feeling like my eyes are getting a bit of a break! In terms of giving you a 'full' look I wouldn't agree with that. While it is a lovely formula if anything it creates more of an elongated rather than a voluminous look. One thing I do like is that the brush picks up literally every single eyelash which I find to be a rarity and a very welcome one at that. Since I have used this every single day since purchasing it I felt it only right to include it in my August favourites!



2: Bourjois' Rouge Edition Velvet Lipstick in 04 Peach Club.
I am SO late jumping on this bandwagon but I am so glad I finally did! These Bourjois lipsticks are just insanely amazing and are all I could ask a lip product to be. Although they are called 'lipsticks' they're much more of a creamy gloss like substance and remind me a lot of Collection's Lip Creams. The Bourjois ones however are about twice the price but you really do get what you pay for. I chose the shade 'peach club' which is a very orange-toned pink/coral and is gorgeous to say the least. As is practically everything about these, from the classy packaging to the ridiculous staying power. I also love how versatile these are as you can create a very sheer sort of tinted look or a full blown bold lip, or if you're feeling adventurous take note that these work quite well as cream blushes too. Once applied this stuff isn't going anywhere, it doesn't bleed or fade even through general every day necessities like eating making it one hell of a high quality product. If you haven't tried any of these I highly recommend that you do. The hardest part will be picking your shade!




3: Maybelline New York's Color Tattoo 24hr Eyeshadow in 40 Permanent Taupe.
I purchased this quite a while ago and was seemingly disappointed with it. I found it to be more of an ash grey shade than anything near the brown you would associate with 'Taupe'. It made a nice alternative eyeliner shade for a while but was a faff to apply so I gave up with it pretty quickly. That is until I decided it was time to start maintaining my eyebrows. I'm not usually one to bother with my brows as they've never really been unruly however I thought that it was time to neaten them up a bit and give them a bit of shape. I have relatively sparse hairs through my brows and so I was on the hunt for something to apply to them and all I could find was an old Rimmel brow pencil that was too dark for my now lightened hair. That's when I picked up this and got curious. Yep, it was a success. While it is still maybe a shade or two dark it's nothing remarkably noticeable and the ash shade works pretty well. I apply this with an angled eyeliner brush through my lashes to add definition and shape, and I am left with a very nice well groomed finish. I do love a multi-functional product!



4: Vivo's Under Eye Concealer in Shade 1 Light.
 This is not the world's best concealer by any standards. In fact it is very translucent and weak. I bet you're wondering why this is classed as a monthly favourite. I have been loving this over the past month for it's highlighting properties. While it isn't shimmery it leaves the skin with a gorgeous dewy glow and so for most of the month I have been replacing my powder highlighters with this. I apply it in the same places I would a powder and just blot it in with my fingers. I am left with such a gorgeous healthy radiance, as though my skin is really well hydrated, but without the appearance that makeup has created this affect. It is such a natural and beautiful finish and is actually a lot easier than applying a powder as you can't really apply too much. I do use this under the eyes if I am applying makeup first thing in the morning not for the concealing effect (that isn't there), but as it has a metal rollerball applicator that is extremely cooling and seems to reduce any puffiness from my sleep. Again, another awesome multi-functional product.



5: Pro Formula's Radiance Melting Gel Cleanser.
I've gone and found myself another holy grail product! I picked this up in Tesco for a tiny £3, bargain! I am so obsessed with this. This is a melting cleanser and so when you apply the gel to the face and begin to massage it in, it turns into an oil which breaks up and dissolves makeup and other nasties. When you then apply water to the cleanser it turns to a milky substance and glides off the skin without leaving you feeling sticky. This product contains green tea and vitamin E complex and so smells absolutely divine and probably does a lot of good stuff for the skin (Can you tell I'm no dermatologist or what? haha). Since using this my skin had felt a lot more clean and nourished and a lot of the redness in my face has died down as the product has been clearing up my complexion. I am such a lazy person when it comes to skin care and admittedly baby wipes are my best friends, however since purchasing this I don't think there's been a day where I haven't used it. I enjoy using it so much and I just adore how it leaves my skin feeling afterwards. I already know this is going to be a repurchase product for a long long time!



6: Calcot Manor's The Lazy Evening Gentle Salt Scrub.
Another skin care product that I have been obsessing over is this salt scrub from Calcot Manor. Again this is an old product that got shoved aside and is now rediscovered and this time I can't put it down. I use this twice a week in the shower and my body is now so soft it's unbelievable. I was suffering from a few dry spots on my arms and after using this for around a week and a half they had completely cleared up. This is quite a harsh exfoliate with large bits of sea salt in it but it doesn't by any means irritate the skin as there is such a generous amount of almond oil which just hydrates and softens to no end! You really do not need a great deal of this product to do even your whole body so I can tell this will last me so long and there isn't much concern of it going out of date as there is a 36 month (3 year) use guideline on it. I feel as though I wont be putting this down again throughout autumn/winter which I am perfectly content with as it's such a treat to use!



Favourite Instagram Account: BOULTBEEABLE!
My absolute favourite Instagrammer of August was by no doubt Grace Boultbee. Why? Simply for the picture below. How immensely perfect is that winged liner? I am so jealous of that talent! Grace is from my hometown and is such a lovely girl. She always has something nice to say and our opinions on the 'bank of mum and dad' are extremely similar! Haha! Her Instagram account to me screams 'keeping it real', she hasn't got a themed account which I love. If she wants to post something she will and I admire that so much. Overall Grace is so beautiful and funny and deserves to be followed by anyone who is reading this now! So if you're not, why? Go follow her and show her some love!

Grace's Instagram Here.


So that's it for August! Although we're only 4 days into September I've already had so many awesome things happen that I could write about and when there's another three birthdays to come this month I'm sure there'll be a lot more happening. I'm aiming to post a lot more this month and already have a few posts lined up! Be sure to comment below if you have any questions for me regarding any of the products in this post or if you have any ideas of future posts for me. I love feedback!

Much love, G x

No comments:

Post a Comment