Thursday 22 January 2015

The 10 Best Beauty Products Of 2014!

How fast did 2014 go?! It's so hard to believe we are fast coming up to the end of January already. 2014 was a massive year for me in terms of beauty, as having three months off work in the middle of the year gave me a lot of time to practice my techniques and find new products. Listed below are the ten products that I could not have been without throughout the year and that I will be repurchasing time and time again. Let me tell you this though, narrowing everything down to just ten items was exceedingly challenging and while there are still several things that could have made it into this post, I am so comfortable putting these up there at their well deserved pride of place.

1: Bourjois Instant Dry nail enamel dryer.
£5.99 - Boots.
These nail drops are outstanding. I bought this around November and I am already way past half way through with it. Using 1-2 drops of this solution rapidly dries your nail varnish which is excellent for someone like me who is severally lacking in patience. You can use this between coats or last thing as a finishing touch. Personally if I am doing a nail art design I will use it between coats as it helps prevent the thickness that usually occurs which causes smudging.

 
2: Nivea Express Hydration primer.
£4.99 - Tesco.
I have grown so obsessed with this primer and use it literally every single day. It provides an insanely gorgeous base for application of makeup and as it is a moisturiser as well as a primer it gives you the opportunity to put two steps of your makeup routine into one. It is extremely purse friendly at under £5 especially for the amount of product you get. This has been my best friend this winter as it has prevented my skin from drying out in the cold weather and kept my skin both looking and feeling healthy. 

 
3: Seventeen's Phwoarr Paint concealer. (Fair)
£5.49 - Boots.
As most who follow me on Instagram will know this is by far my all time favourite concealer. I discovered this late in 2013 and I must have used this basically every day I wore makeup in 2014. What is most outstanding is that I have only just (within the past week or two) purchased another of these as a refill so to speak, and my initial one hasn't completely ran out yet. This concealer provides an amazing coverage to dark spots and blemishes anywhere on the face, while blending perfectly. A little of this goes a hell of a long way and there is no creasing at all when applied with the fingers which I find the best way. 

 
 4: Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche Éclat foundation. (B 40 Beige)
£30.50 - Boots. I Paid £2.99 - Samaritans Charity Shop.
So I won't lie, the reason this foundation made it into my top ten is mainly due to the price. This was a huge bargain and I felt so lucky when I found this. What are the odds of finding one YSL foundation, in the perfect shade, un-opened and about 10% of the price it should be. This is probably the most high end makeup product I own (maybe along side my Estee Lauder items) and quite frankly it is worth the massive price tag. This foundation provides a gorgeous dewy finish with great coverage. It applies easily with both hands and brushes and the finish is just perfect.

 
 5: Makeup Revolution Ultra Blush Palette. (Hot Spice)
£6.00 - Superdrug.
This palette could easily pass as my most used palette of 2014 even though it is only a blush compact. It contains six different shades of blush and two highlighters, all of which are beautiful. There are quite a few similarities in the blushes with the exception of the one coral/orange shade however while the rest do all look a smoky pink colour, there is just enough difference when applied to give a whole different look with each. The quality of these blushes is fantastic as the are super highly pigmented and very true to the colour once applied. I would highly recommend this palette to anyone who is just starting out with makeup, or a beginner of contouring as there is little way you can go wrong with these.

 
 6: Max Makeup's Cherimoya gel eyeliner.
£3.99 - Online. I Paid £2.50 - TK Maxx.
This tiny gel eyeliner pot has been an absolute godsend this year. It came with a small angled brush for application however I much prefer using it with the Real Techniques liner brushes, particularly the silicone liner brush. It applies so fluidly and perfectly with no dry clumps, no smudging throughout the day and a jet black liquid liner look finish. This is one of those products that I genuinely do not know what I would use if it were not in my collection and I honestly do panic a bit that it's from an unusual brand that I have not heard of previously or since.

 
 7: Cargo Cosmetics Bronzer. (BZ01 - light)
£20.00 - Debenhams. I Paid £3.99 - TK Maxx.
This bronzer is beautiful. There isn't much more I can say about it. Cargo is a brand that I hadn't seen much hype around but once I discovered a range of theirs brought in to our local TK Maxx I started my very own little hype party. I ended up buying this and two liquid lip colours all that are fantastic. This bronzer however pushes all the boundaries to the limit. It is a perfect shade for my skin tone and does not have any of that awful orangey tone that, lets be honest, most bronzers have. I love this for contouring with or just wearing alone for a nice tanned look.

 
 8: Maybelline New York's Color Tattoo 24hr cream eyeshadow. (35 - On and on bronze)
£4.99 - Boots.
Just like the for mentioned concealer this is a product I learnt of in 2013. I believe I was watching a YouTube video by Lily Pebbles where she used this as a daily eyeshadow. She mentioned that it was buildable, smudged out well into a smoky eye and looked lovely as a wash of colour too. She as usual was right. If ever I am lacking inspiration on what to do with my eyes I will pick this up and with my ring finger apply a thin layer of this to the eyelid and wear with mascara. It gives a little something else to a natural every day looks and also works great as a base for other brown toned shadows.

 
 9: Maybelline New York's 'The Falsies' mascara.
£7.99 - Boots.
When I initially bought this mascara it was ok. I say ok as it really was nothing special and I genuinely didn't wear it for months after trying it out a few times. However around September time I picked it up with the intention of trying it again and something changed. I don't know what it was but suddenly this mascara was amazing. When wearing this my lashes look longer, thicker and much more voluminous. Even better, there is no fall out or smudging throughout the day in the slightest. At £8 it is great. A standard price for a much more than standard mascara.

 
 10: Maybelline New York's Color Drama lip crayons. (L-R: nude perfection, red essential, berry much)
£4.99 - Boots.
I thought I would end this post on what was easily my favourite launch of 2014. The Maybelline Color Drama Lipcrayons. WOW! These are formulated amazingly and are so affordable it's insane. Obviously my favourite is nude perfection (as shown by the midget pencil in the picture below) which fairs for the perfect every day colour. It is just a tad darker than your average nude lipstick and looks gorgeous with an even darker liner. I think my favourite thing about these pencils is that they're all matte which mean they stay longer on the lips. They have a gorgeous creamy texture and as far as I've used them I have had no colour running or smudging. The pigmentation is well on point and with the darker colours they have a kind of tinting property to them. I use these so often that I really do get my moneys worth out of them.

 
 
 
I have thoroughly enjoyed using these products so far and I can see them being used well into 2015. If you would like any extra information about these products then do feel free to comment below and ask.
Much Love, G xo

No comments:

Post a Comment